[Corporations] Whole Foods Inc.Behind the Green Mask

joydancer joydancer at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 28 21:07:29 EST 2004

Does anyone know more about these (some dated) but unsavory Whole Foods allegations? We're researching info for a possible article. Whole Foods defenders, if any, are encouraged to speak up - you may wish to email privately. There's usually more than one side to a story, and no company is perfect. However, we are interested to know if the projected image is consistent with they behavior or is it just a deception to get consumers to spend their dollars. In other words, is the company trying to be good or only pretending to be?

Whole Foods is accused of being a union buster http://www.wholeworkersunite.org as recently as 11/03. Is their winning a best workplace award therefore a sham or how to explain the inconsistency? http://www.wholefoods.com/company/pr_fortune98.html

Here is a long post that includes mention of a takeover struggle between Whole Foods and Wild Oats. The Whole Foods CEO is called "Chain Saw John Mackey" for his ruthless takeover methods. http://www.sare.org/htdocs/hypermail/html-home/28-html/0263.html

an article about investment in B 1 bomber parts http://www.zmag.org/ZMag/articles/steinberg.htm that would account for their rapid growth and ability to takeover small local healthfood stores.